These fees are payable under Rule 78.02:
- $50 on filing a Notice of Appeal or any other document commencing a proceeding in the Court of Appeal, such as a Notice of Motion for leave to appeal;
- $50 on filing an Appellant’s Submission;
- $25 on filing a Respondent’s Submission;
- $50 on certifying a case on appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada;
- $10 on refiling any document when the Registrar has returned the document because it was completed incorrectly;
- $10 on filing any other document, if applicable;
- $10 for a certified copy, excluding copied material;
- 50 cents per page for photocopying; and
- $10 per search in any court (paper) file in the custody of the Registrar.
Under Rule 78.03, these fees are not payable by a party that is represented by a solicitor who is an agent of the Attorney General of New Brunswick, a party whose legal services in a proceeding are paid for under a legal aid program, or the Public Trustee.
In the case of prisoner appeals in criminal matters under Rule 63, fees on filing a Notice of Appeal, an Appellant’s Submission, and a Respondent’s Submission are not payable by a person who is in custody and is not represented by counsel when the Notice of Appeal is given.